History of the Museum

Museo Civico Archeologico "Pietro e Turiddo Lotti" | Comune di Ischia di Castro (VT) - Assessorato alla Cultura

The history of the Civic Archaeological Museum “Pietro and Turiddo Lotti” of Ischia di Castro

La storia del Museo Archeologico Lotti di Ischia di Castro
The history of the “Lotti” Archaeological Museum of Ischia di Castro

The “Pietro and Turiddo Lotti” Museum was initially established in 1958 as an Antiquarium, thanks to the donation of the private collection of the Stendardi – Lotti family to the Municipality of Ischia di Castro.

The initial nucleus grew in the 1960s with new acquisitions, the result of excavation campaigns organized by the then Superintendence of Antiquities of Southern Etruria and the Belgian Center for Etruscan and Italic Research in the Castro area and in the municipal territory.

Important Etruscan grave goods were found, as well as architectural elements from the ancient city of Castro, the work of Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, pertaining to the Piazza Maggiore and the Cathedral of San Savino.

The collection was then reorganized in 1979 by the “Armine” Archaeological Group, rearranging the materials in a chronological sense; in 1984 the Museum received its current name, while in 1987, the Museum was moved to its present location, with a new exhibition itinerary, capable of also enhancing the new acquisitions from the prehistoric site of Settecannelle, the Roman-Longobard site of Selvicciola, the city of Castro and the Hermitage of Poggio Conte.

Since 2000, the “Pietro and Turiddo Lotti” Civic Archaeological Museum has been a member of SIMULABO, the Museum System of Lake Bolsena; since 2005, an upstairs exhibition has also been added, with a documentary on the Biga of Castro and space for temporary exhibitions.

Learn more about the SIMULABO Museum System